Many people love the idea of being able to completely reorganize their bedroom, but the daunting task can be too much to wrap your head around at times. At first, the idea seems great, imagine all that freed up space and tidy closets, but the reality can seem much more intimidating. However, reorganizing and deep cleaning a bedroom does not have to be a difficult task. By taking it step by step, you can have a clean, organized and refreshed bedroom in just one day.
Where do I begin?
When tackling the deep cleaning of a bedroom, the best place to begin is by removing EVERYTHING. By everything, we mean any clutter, clothing or trash that needs taking out. If you can, leave nothing but the large pieces of furniture in the room. It may be helpful to do this when nobody else in the home, since you are going to be cluttering up hallways and other rooms with your stuff, just for a short period of time.
Taking on this task on a day where you have nothing else to do is also a good idea, since it is probably going to fill up most of your day.
Once you have removed everything from the room, you can begin with the cleaning portion of the job.
Now that you have an almost empty room, cleaning will be much simpler. We are now going to talk about the various cleaning jobs which need to be done in order to completely refresh your bedroom. Following this deep cleaning guide will make the task at hand so much simpler.
- Remove bedding and put in the washing machine.
- Vacuum the floor, this includes moving furniture aside to vacuum underneath.
- Wipe down any wooden surfaces such as windowsills, skirting boards or rails.
- Use polish and an old rag to clean any furniture tops, door handles, light fittings etc.
- Clean windows and window frames.
Now that the room is clean and fresh, the easiest way to maintain this is by regularly cleaning and tidying so that a deep clean is not required as frequently.
What Do I Keep?
Before you bring any items back into the bedroom, it is important to decide if there is anything which you no longer require. A good place to begin is with your clothing. Lay everything out and go through, item by item. Ask yourself the following questions to determine whether you really need to keep the piece.
- When was the last time it was worn?
- Does it still fit?
- Is it still in style?
- Do you have more than one of these or something similar?
- Is it in good condition?
Once you have decided (and be brutal) you can put your clothes into three piles; recycle, donate and keep. The ones which you are going to keep can be put back in the bedroom (we will look more at this later), the others can either be taken to a clothes bank for recycling or you can think about donating clothes to a charity, homeless shelter or anywhere else that might need them.
This process can now be repeated with other items which you have removed from the bedroom such as books and magazines, ornaments and candles, shoes and bags, soft toys or soft furnishings.
How to reorganize the bedroom
Now comes the fun part! Before bringing anything back into the room, you should consider your furniture layout. Is the way it is currently laid out the most practical or aesthetically pleasing arrangement? If you can say for certain that it is, then you can skip this step. However, if not it is worth thinking about how else the furniture could be arranged. Let’s look at some useful tips for bedroom furniture lay outs.
- The bed should be placed first since it is usually the largest item and can be worked around.
- When placing the bed, think about the size of the room. Larger rooms look better with the bed as a centerpiece whereas smaller rooms will work better with the bed against a wall, to optimize floor space.
- It is not ideal to place a bed near a window as it can become draughty and cold during the night.
- Create balance by placing a bigger furniture item opposite the bed, if possible
- Nightstands should be placed at the side of the bed, on both sides for beds in the middle of the room and on the one side for a bed which is against a wall.
- Consider the placement of your dresser, does it look and function best underneath the window or in a corner, or perhaps as a centerpiece of a feature wall?
Now that your furniture is as Feng Shui-ed as a photo from a home magazine, we can move onto more pressing matters — soft furnishings. This includes things such as rugs, throw pillows and blankets. For the most attractive design, choose colors which complement the decor of the room, if you already have them. However, a mix and match design can also be very easy on the eye.
It is now time to bring back your clothing. If you have limited closet space, it may be worth considering one of two options. You might decide to opt for a self-storage facility if you have a very large amount of clothing that you do not want to get rid of completely but may not wear, for example out of season items. You could also consider investing in some form of under bed storage or vacuum storage which can make storing unused clothing much easier.
For the items which are going to kept, here are some handy ideas to keep everything organized.
- Hang up any clothing which is likely to crease, for example dresses, shirts, suit pants etc.
- Fold sweaters and t-shirts which can then be stored in drawers.
- Socks and underwear can be stored in boxes at the bottom of the closet or in smaller draws. There is the option to use separators in drawers to maximize your organization.
- Shoes can be stored in a shoe rack which attaches to a door.
- Have a laundry basket handy so that any dirty clothes can be put in rather than left on the floor.
When it comes to decorative items such as candles, wall art or figurines, it is important to place them strategically. Only select your favorites and display them in groups according to size, color or shape. This will give a very chic and organized feel to the room.
On your nightstand, only keep the essential items such as a lamp, your current book and a clock. This will minimize clutter.
Now that everything is back in place, you are free to enjoy your newly organized bedroom. By following these simple tips and ideas, you can have the bedroom which you have been dreaming about in absolutely no time at all.